Friday, October 10, 2008

5 Things you can do to support the monument

1. Sign the support the monument petition
2. Write a support letter to the president
3. Send a support email to the Council on Environmental Quality
4. Attend the Federal public workshop on October 20
5. Wear Orange

You can also:

6. Sign the business petition if you are a business owner
7. Write a letter to the editor
8. Add a link to our blog on your email signature and website

Please call the Monument Office at (670) 234-2665 if you need any assistance or if you have any questions. If you bring your letter into the office, we can mail it out for you to all the appropriate people.

A sample letter may look like:
October 1, 2008



President George W. Bush
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20500

RE: Support for the proposed Mariana Trench Marine National Monument

Dear President Bush,

My name is Joe Chamorro and I am a fifth generation resident of the island of Saipan. Many of the men in my family are fishermen and my father, Joe Sr., fought for Freedom during the Vietnam war. I am a former congressman and a small business owner. I am also the President of the local volleyball association and spend my extra time working with the homeless.

I have been to the Northern Islands on two occasions. Those islands are the crown jewel of the Pacific and there is nothing I would want more than to share the beauty of my home with the entire world by designating the waters surrounding the far northern islands of Maug, Uracas, and Asuncion as a Marine National Monument.

I speak on behalf of my children and generations yet to come when I ask you to please create a highly protected Mariana Trench Marine National Monument that restricts commercial extraction.

Sincerely,



Joe Chamorro




CC: Dirk Kempthorne, Secretary of the Interior
Carlos M Gutierrez, Secretary of Commerce
James Connaughton, CEQ Chairman
Vice Admiral Conrad C. Lautenbacher, Jr., NOAA
Friends of the Monument
Media

No comments: